- Yogurt -0.82 pounds
- Nuts -0.57 pounds
- Fruits -0.49 pounds
- Whole grains -0.37 pounds
- Vegetables -0.22 pounds
Another idea: Add pureed vegetables to favorite dishes to decrease the calories per serving, while eating the same volume. Feb American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
In the same study, it was shown that eating these foods is directly linked to weight gain.
- French fries +3.35 pounds
- Potato chips +1.69 pounds
- Red meat +1 pound
- Sugary drinks
- Processed meat
French fries, ice cream and soda don’t give the feeling of saitety as quickly as high fiber foods. Your’re more inclinded to keep eating. High fiber foods expand in the stomach, slow digestion and make you feel satisfied more quickly.
The wonder foods researchers like to guard against disease? Brocolli and berries. And excercise – brisk walk 20 minutes a day and muscle strengthening exercises 2 or more days a week.
Watch for these other lifestyle daily habits which also seem to cause specific weight gains over a four-year period.
- Alcohol use +0.41 pounds each drink per day
- Smoking +5.17 pounds for new quitters; 0.14 pounds for former smokers
- Sleep – less than 6-8 hours per night may lead to weight gain
- TV watchers +0.31 pounds for each hour watched per day (watch 5 hours of TV daily and gain 1.5 pounds)