1. Enjoy turkey meat which is not high calorie in itself, just don’t eat the skin.
2. Make stuffing with lots of veggies, apples. You can also use gluten free bread and low-fat or
3. Instead of sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and sugar, make baked sweet potatoes or yams with a small amount of butter, cinnamon. It won’t need extra sugar.
4. Make a number of veggies sauteed with a little garlic and oil— green beans, collard greens, spinach, kale, broccoli rabe grilled, steamed, poached. Remember lightly sauteed asparagus with lemon is a lovely dish
5. Take a walk in between courses.
6. Serve coffee/tea frequently.
7. Consider lower calorie beverages. Consider prosecco for a toast (45/63 calories per glass vs. 95-120 for other bubbles)
8. Serve bottled water along with wine.
9. For dessert make baked fruit. Apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, can be poached in water or red wine for and baked at 350 degrees. They taste and smells like pie with 1/3 the calories and no added sugar or crust.
10. Or ask guests to bring creative desserts which aren’t pies or cakes. Consider pumpkin creme brûlée or panna cotta instead of pie.
Or if you go out to a restaurant to celebrate, try this.